External DVR Storage - Expanding the Storage Capacity of your Digital Video Recorder (DVR)
Record more of the shows you love without worrying about filling up your DVR. External DVR storage allows you to expand your existing Comcast DVR's storage capacity with an external hard drive. Record and playback shows as you normally would and enjoy the increased storage of your DVR.
Western Digital’s My Book AV DVR Expander is the external hard drive that has been tested and approved to work with Comcast DVRs by providing an additional one terabyte of storage. To order a Western Digital external hard drive, first check to make sure your market supports external hard drives, then visit store.westerndigital.com/mybookavcomcast.
To Order an External Hard Drive
To order a Western Digital external hard drive, check to make sure that you:
- Live in a Comcast area that supports external hard drives.
- Have a supporting Comcast DVR model.
If you live in a supported area and have a compatible Comcast DVR, visit store.westerndigital.com/mybookavcomcast
to order your Western Digital external hard drive, My Book AV DVR Expander.
Comcast Areas Where DVRs Support External Hard Drives
To see which Comcast DVR you have, look for the Motorola, Cisco or Scientific Atlanta label on your Comcast DVR.
Cisco and Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs
Cisco and Scientific Atlanta DVRs support external hard drives in all Cisco/SA Markets. For the Cisco RNG 200 and RNG200N you would need to have the traditional "blue" on-screen guide. Most of our customers with these DVRs have this guide.
Motorola Comcast DVRs
Motorola DVRs support external hard drives in select markets. Comcast will be introducing external hard drive support to all Motorola markets in the near future. The following areas where we use Motorola branded DVRs now have this feature available:
- All Comcast areas of Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington D.C. and West Virginia.
- Houma, Louisiana.
Supported DVR Models
The following models of Comcast DVRs support external hard drives. If your DVR has an eSATA port on the back, it should support external hard drives with up to 1 terabyte of storage capacity.
- Motorola Comcast DVRs: DCH3416, DCH6416, DCT3412, DCT3416, DCT6412, DCT6416, DCX3501, RNG200N
- Cisco/Scientific Atlantic (SA) Comcast DVRs: Cisco RNG200, Cisco RNG200N, SA 8000, SA 8000HD, SA 8010, SA 8010HD, SA 8300, SA 8300HD/HDC
Western Digital Customer Support
If you are having an issue with your Western Digital external hard drive:
- Support Website: Visit the Western Digital Service & Support website
- US and Canada Western Digital Support Center: 1-800-275-4932 (Monday – Thursday 8:00 AM-9:00 PM CT or Friday – Sunday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM CT)
- US Spanish Language Western Digital Support Center: 1-949-672-7199 (Monday – Thursday 8:00 AM-9:00 PM CT or Friday 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM CT)
For issues with external hard drives by other manufacturers, please contact the manufacturer.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to frequently asked questions about your new Western Digital hard drive, please click here.
DVR service requires an XFINITY® TV subscription and DVR set-top box. Monthly DVR service fee applies. XFINITY® service not available in all areas.