The Wireless Gateway 1 (Model Numbers TG852G, TG862G, SMCD3GNV, TC8305C) provides the functionality of a Wi-Fi router, DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, and voice modem in a single device. If you have both XFINITY Voice and XFINITY Internet services, the Wireless Gateway 1 is an all-in-one way to stay connected and manage a home network.
The Wireless Gateway 1 is different than other home networking products. With a common home networking setup, you need both a modem (to connect to the Internet) and a wireless router (to connect devices to one another and the modem). But the Wireless Gateway 1 combines these two devices into one. If your computer connects to the Internet using a Wireless Gateway 1, you already have everything you need to set up home networking.
Wireless Gateway 1 Features
The Wireless Gateway 1 combines the function and features of a modem and a router into one convenient device. Here are some of the Wireless Gateway 1 services and features you can enjoy:
- High Speed Internet: The Wireless Gateway 1 contains a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which provides some of the fastest download speeds available.
- Wi-Fi: The Wireless Gateway 1 provides 2.4 Wi-Fi connection for your home network. Connect multiple computers, laptops, tablets, and other Wi-Fi devices to the Internet wirelessly. To learn more about Wi-Fi, see What is WiFi?
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Connect up to four wired devices to the Wireless Gateway 1.
- Home Networking: Connect your computers, printers and other devices to the Wireless Gateway 1 to access the Internet both wirelessly and with cables. To find out how to set up your home network, see Plug In and Power Up Your Network with a Wireless Gateway.
- Built-In Security: The Wireless Gateway 1 comes with Comcast-recommended settings for a secure network (e.g., firewall, Wi-Fi). However, for added security, Comcast recommends changing the default password (see Securing Your Wireless Gateway Network) for the administration site (Admin Tool) to a password of your own.
- Phone Service: The Wireless Gateway 1 supports your XFINITY Voice service with two analog telephone ports (if you also subscribe to XFINITY Voice service).
To download the Wireless Gateway 1 Quick Start Guide and the User Manual for your specific model number, please see Wireless Gateway Guides
Front and Top Panels
The front panel of the Wireless Gateway 1 features white LED lights to let you know the status of different functions. These indicate the status of the AC power, upstream and downstream connectivity, Internet, Wi-Fi, phone and battery.
The Wireless Gateway 1 has a WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button on the top panel, and the following LEDs on the front panel:
- Power: AC power status
- US/DS: Upstream and downstream connectivity
- Online: Internet connectivity status
- WiFi: Status of the 2.4 GHz wireless LAN
- Tel1: Status of phone line 1
- Tel2: Status of phone line 2
- Battery: Battery power status
On the back panel of the Wireless Gateway 1, you'll find connection ports, the Reset button and Ethernet LED lights for your wired connections. The following options are available on the back panel:
- Reset button: Resets the wireless gateway
- USB Connector: For future use
- Tel1: Connector for analog phone
- Tel2: Connector for analog phone
- Ethernet 1-4: Connectors for use with computer LAN ports
- Cable: Connector for the coaxial cable
- Power: Connector for power
Installing the Wireless Gateway Battery (Only for XFINITY Voice Service)
A backup battery can be installed in your Wireless Gateway 1 to provide additional hours of XFINITY Voice service during a power outage. Visit Purchase a Battery for Your XFINITY Voice Phone Modem for more information on purchasing a battery. (Backup batteries are not available for purchase from Comcast by Unlimited Select customers.)
For help installing a battery, please see Install a Backup Battery in Your Wireless Gateway.
You can view and adjust your router and network settings - including features like parental controls, security settings and your Network Names (SSIDs) and Network Password (Key) - through the Wireless Gateway 1’s Admin Tool, located online at http://10.0.0.1.
To learn about the admin tool, see Securing Your Wireless Gateway Network. To learn about advanced features, see Using Advanced Wireless Gateway Features.