The Wireless Gateway 2 (model number DPC3939) provides the functionality of a Wi-Fi router, DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and voice modem in a single device. If you have both XFINITY Voice and XFINITY Internet services, the wireless gateway is an all-in-one way to stay connected and manage a home network.
The Wireless Gateway 2 is different from other home networking products. With a common home networking setup, you need both a modem (to connect to the Internet) and a wireless router (to connect devices to one another and the modem). But the Wireless Gateway 2 combines the two devices into one. If your computer connects to the Internet using a Wireless Gateway 2, you already have everything you need to set up home networking.
Wireless Gateway 2 Features
The Wireless Gateway 2 combines the functions and features of a modem and a router into one convenient device. Here are some of the Wireless Gateway 2 services and features you can enjoy:
- High Speed Internet: The Wireless Gateway 2 contains a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, which means some of the fastest download speeds available.
- Dual-Band Wi-Fi: The Wireless Gateway 2 provides dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 and 5 GHz). Connect multiple computers, laptops, tablets and other Wi-Fi devices to the Internet wirelessly, with higher maximum throughput (200 Mbps) using 5 GHz. Learn more about Wi-Fi. Common 5 GHz band devices include:
- Smartphones - iPhone 5, Samsung S3, S4, Samsung Epic
- Tablets - iPad 2, 3, 4 and Mini, Kindle Fire HD (7 in. and 8.9 in.), Samsung Galaxy 10.1, Google Nexus 10, Microsoft Surface RT
- Laptops - MacBook Air, MacBook Pro (A1278), Dell Latitude E5430, E5500, E5420
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports: Connect up to four wired devices to the Wireless Gateway 2.
- Home Networking: Connect your computers, printers and other devices to the Wireless Gateway 2 to access the Internet both wirelessly and with cables. Find out how to set up your home network.
- Built-In Security: The Wireless Gateway 2 comes with Comcast-recommended settings for a secure network (e.g., firewall, Wi-Fi). However, for added security, Comcast recommends changing the default password for the administration site (Admin Tool) to a password of your own.
- Phone Service: The Wireless Gateway 2 supports your XFINITY Voice service with two analog telephone ports (if you also subscribe to XFINITY Voice service).
To download the Wireless Gateway 2 Quick Start Guide and the User Manual for your specific model number, please see Wireless Gateway User and Quick Start Guides
The front panel of the Wireless Gateway 2 displays a series of LED lights, which indicate different features. You can use the following image to further familiarize yourself with the front panel.
Front Panel items include:
- Power: AC power status
- US/DS: Upstream/downstream connectivity
- Online: Internet connectivity status
- 2.4GHz WiFi: Wireless LAN status for 2.4 GHz band
- 5GHz WiFi: Wireless LAN status for 5GHz band
- Tel1/Tel2: Phone line status
- Battery: Battery power status
On the back panel of the Wireless Gateway 2 you will find several ports and buttons. These serve the following functions:
- The Reset button allows you to reboot the Wireless Gateway 2 if you experience connectivity issues. To find out how to reset your wireless router, see Resetting Your Wireless Gateway.
- USB connectors (future capability)
- Telephone connectors allow you to connect two lines of telephone service if you have two numbers.
- Home Alarm port
- Ethernet ports allow you to connect up to four devices (such as computers, game systems and printers) to your home network with an Ethernet cable.
- MoCA LED
- The Cable Connector provides Internet service to the wireless gateway through a coaxial cable, the same kind of cable that transmits TV service to your set-top box.
- The Power Connector is for the wireless gateway's power cord.
Refer to the image below to further familiarize yourself with the back panel.
The top panel of the Wireless Gateway 2 features the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) and Page buttons.
- The WPS LED button connects WPS-compatible devices to your network.
- The Page button is used to register and pair DECT CAT-iq 2.0 handsets to the Wireless Gateway 2 (future capability).
Installing the Wireless Gateway Battery (Only for XFINITY Voice Service)
A backup battery can be installed in your Wireless Gateway 2 to provide additional hours of XFINITY Voice service during a power outage. Visit Purchase a Battery for Your XFINITY Voice Phone Modem for more information on purchasing a battery. (Backup batteries are not available for purchase from Comcast by Unlimited Select customers.)
For help installing a battery, please see Install a Backup Battery in Your Wireless Gateway.
You can view and adjust your router and network settings – including features like parental controls, security settings and your Network Names (SSIDs) and Network Password (Key) – through the Wireless Gateway 2's Admin Tool, which is located online at http://10.0.0.1.
To learn about advanced features, see Advanced Wireless Gateway Features.