Find everything you need to know about setting up your wireless gateway.
If you’re using a wireless gateway (a combined router, modem and Wi-Fi home networking device), we can help you connect to the Internet wirelessly, personalize your wireless gateway and set up and secure your wireless network.
Connect to the Internet Wirelessly
- Lift up the wireless gateway device and look for a white label on the underside.
- Write down the Network Name (SSID) and Network Key.
- On your computer, open the list of available wireless networks.
- Windows: Click the wireless connections icon.
- Mac: Click the wireless icon from the menu bar.
- In the list of available wireless networks, look for — and select — the Network Name (SSID) you wrote down in Step 2.
- Enter the Network Key (case-sensitive) from Step 2
- Windows: Enter the key in the Network Security Key field.
- Mac: Enter the key in the Password field.
- Click OK or Connect.
- Test your Internet connection by opening a web browser and typing in a valid URL, such as www.xfinity.com.
- Continue on to the Home Network Wizard to personalize your wireless gateway and to set up and secure your new Wi-Fi network.
Personalize Your Wireless Gateway
- Open a Web browser and type http://10.0.0.1 in the address line.
- The wireless gateway Login page will appear.
- Enter admin in the Username field and password in the Password field.
- Click LOGIN.
- The first page of the Home Network Wizard will appear.
- Create a gateway name, such as Home or Work, and enter it in the Gateway Name field.
- Enter password in the Current Password field.
- Create a new password and enter it in the New Password field.
- This password must be at least eight characters long. It should contain both upper- and lowercase letters and at least one number.
- Re-enter your new password in the Re-enter New Password field to confirm.
- Write down your wireless gateway password for future reference and click Next Step.
Setting up and Securing Your Wi-Fi Network
- Change the name of your Wi-Fi network and write down the new name for future reference.
- Select an Encryption Method from the drop-down menu.
- We recommend WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AE) as it’s compatible with most computers, and provides better security and performance.
- Create a unique network password and enter it in the Enter Network Password field to prevent unauthorized use of your wireless network.
- This password must be at least eight characters long. It should contain both uppercase and lowercase letters, and at least one number.
- Other computers or devices will need this password to access your wireless network.
- Write down the new password for future reference.
- Click Finish.
- View the list of Available Wireless Networks on your computer, and select the network you named in Step 1.
- Enter the Wi-Fi Network Password you created in Step 3.
- Test your Internet connection by opening a Web browser and typing in a valid URL such as www.xfinity.com.
To view or modify your wireless gateway settings in the future, go to http://10.0.0.1
. If you need more assistance, refer to your device’s user guide, or contact us