What is Caller ID? Just one of our many Voice features that protect your privacy.
How it works
With XFINITY Voice service, you can screen your calls. Caller ID displays the phone number of the incoming call, so you can decide whether to pick up the phone. If you don’t answer the call, it will be forwarded directly to your voicemail.
We don’t provide phones that work with Caller ID, so make sure whichever phone you get works with Caller ID. Please note that some numbers are blocked from being displayed.
- With Call Forwarding activated, no Caller ID information is delivered to the base station. Instead, the calling Caller ID is forwarded to the remote destination.
- Different caller ID units/telephones have different capacity and features.
- Caller ID information usually comes in at the end of the first ring cycle, so if you pick up the phone too quickly, the Caller ID information may not come through.
- Caller ID may not deliver numbers from older analog, PBX or Centrex type telephone systems.
- When Caller ID information is not available due to various limitations, you will usually see "OUT OF AREA" or "UNKNOWN". The exact message will depend on the different make & models of the Caller ID units.
- When a caller blocks their Caller ID information, you will usually see "PRIVATE" or "ANONYMOUS". This message will also depend on the actual Caller ID unit that is being used.
- Your Caller ID unit may also require batteries or an external power source to operate correctly. If your Caller ID unit is not working check the batteries or power source and be sure all batteries and power cords are installed properly.
- Your Caller ID unit may not work correctly if there is too large of a load on your phone line such as multiple phones, faxes, modems, Security System, cable TV, etc. If your Caller ID is not working, try to isolate to the one inoperable Caller ID unit by isolating the other equipment from the line.
- Your Caller ID unit may need to be reset. If your Caller ID unit does not display correctly, or not at all, try to reset by completely unplugging and powering down the unit and then plug it back in and power it back up.
- Some Caller ID units may display a previously stored Name rather than the current Name being delivered. The party who received an incorrect calling Name should check to see if this is the case, and if so, delete the entry from their Caller ID unit’s directory.
- Comcast switches provide ten digits of Caller ID information on all calls; however, some Caller ID units may be set up to only display seven digits. If the display is not showing the area code, refer to the owner’s manual for the Caller ID unit for more information on changing the settings to display ten digits.