With the XFINITY TV Remote app, you can browse and watch programming on the go or turn your mobile device into a remote control.
Note: The XFINITY TV Remote app is different from the XFINITY Connect app.
Use the XFINITY TV Remote app on Apple Devices to:
- View TV listings by selecting TV Listings at the bottom of the app.
- Browse XFINITY On Demand programming by selecting On Demand at the bottom of the app.
- Search both TV listings and XFINITY On Demand by typing a title in the Search box at the top of the app.
- Turn your device into a remote control for your set top box:
- On an iPad, in the upper right of the app is a drop-down menu. Select the name of the set-top box you want to control. This will be saved for your next session.
- On an iPhone/iPod touch, the drop-down menu is in Settings. Select the name of the set-top box you want to control from the menu. This will be saved for your next session.
Use the XFINITY TV Remote app on Android Devices to:
- View TV listings by pressing the Menu button and selecting TV Listings. You can browse up to two weeks of TV programs on your lineup, scroll to a channel, and use filters to narrow the choices by HD, Movies, Sports or Kids.
- Browse XFINITY On Demand programming by pressing the Menu button and selecting On Demand. Use the filters to narrow the choices by Genre, Networks, Title, HD, Free and New.
- Search both TV listings and XFINITY On Demand by pressing the Menu button and selecting Search. Then type in the title you are looking for.
- Turn your device into a remote control for your set-top box:
- Select the set-top box name from Settings.
- You will see the name of the set-top box that the app is controlling. Tap to see a drop-down menu of all the set-top boxes you can choose.
- Select the name of the set-top box you want to control. This will be saved for your next session.
Watch Programs in the XFINITY TV Remote app
You can watch any program in TV Listings or XFINITY On Demand in the app. Most programs are free, but some XFINITY On Demand programs require a purchase or a package to watch.
The app will take you to the program’s information screen, where you can view costs or package information.
To watch the program, select Watch with your Comcast remote. Even with free programs, the app will need confirmation before it plays the program you've selected.
If you select an XFINITY On Demand program that isn’t included in your subscription, a message on the app will notify you. If the program you've selected is protected by your parental control settings, you’ll need to use your Comcast remote to enter your PIN.
To Change Channels with the XFINITY TV Application
You can use the app to change the channel only when you’re watching a program during its actual airtime. If you’re recording a program, watching XFINITY On Demand, or navigating through menus with your Comcast remote control, the app can’t change the channel to what you have selected on your device.
Play Now for the XFINITY TV Remote app
Play Now is a new feature that allows all premium video customers to play video on the iPad. Content from HBO, Showtime, Encore, Cinemax, STARZ, TBS, TNT, BBC America, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, AMC, BBC America, CBeeBies (BBC Kids), Hallmark, IFC, MoviePlex, Ovation, SundanceTV, TruTV, NBC Universal Pictures, and WE is available for subscribers. It's important to note that customers can enjoy this XFINITY On Demand content in or out of the home as long as they have an internet connection. Play Now is available for both Android and Apple devices.
Feature points include:
- Parental Controls are included for managing children's mobile viewing experience.
- TV Networks and Comcast's Cable TV content providers that offer free programming on the set-top box require advertising support. We want to honor these contractual obligations so we are working on an ad-supported model to play these great titles on your mobile devices in the future.
When you change your password, it may take several hours for your new password to be updated across the network and your access to Play Now could be affected.
Accessing Play Now
Play Now is accessed by Apple and Android users differently.
Android Play Now Information:
Apple Play Now Information:
- Android users will access Play Now through the new XFINITY TV Go app, which is now available in Google Play. The app is currently only available to Android users.
- Android customers must be using the Gingerbread operating system (Android 2.3x) or greater.
- Android customers can access Play Now with a Wi-Fi, 3G or 4G Internet connection.
- Customers must download the XFINITY TV Go app from Google Play
- The XFINITY TV Go app for Android does not include the following features:
- TV Listings
- Remote Tune for Live TV or XFINITY On Demand - Users cannnot change the channel through their mobile device using this app
- Remote DVR functionality - Users cannot manage their DVR recordings through this app
- Set-Top Box naming - Users cannot name their set-top boxes using this app
- AnyPlay (if the account is provisioned with Moto Media Streamer)
- Apple users continue to access Play Now through the XFINITY TV Go app.
- Apple customers can access Play Now using only a Wi-Fi Internet connection.
- Apple customers must download the XFINITY TV Go app from the iTunes store and must be using the latest version (version 1.1).
- The XFINITY TV Go app on iOS no longer supports iPhone 3 and 2nd generation iPod Touch models due to latency and poor video playback issues.
- Customers in Scientific Atlanta and TiVo Experience markets still cannot schedule DVR recordings or use the Remote Tune features. However the XFINITY TV Go app will provide the capability for customers to use Play Now in these markets where other tools are not available.
- Only three streams per household are allowed at any given time.
Troubleshoot Problems with the XFINITY TV Remote app
- Exit to regular TV with no menu displayed and try using the app.
- Make sure you have the correct set-top box selected for the TV you want to control.
- Use your Comcast remote to make sure the channel changes or an XFINITY On Demand program is available.
- If the remote works, confirm the Internet access on your device by going to another website.
- If the remote doesn’t work, there is probably a problem with your cable service.
If you have any problems with the XFINITY TV Application, check out our top tips
or contact us