With the XFINITY X1 Remote app you can navigate the X1 Platform from XFINITY guide with any mobile device running iOS 5 or higher or Android 4.0 or higher. The XFINITY X1 Remote app is available to download from iTunes and Google Play. Voice Controls also require that you have a microphone capable of voice input in your device. Below is a list of devices that are compatible with the XFINITY X1 Remote app:
- iPhone (iPhone 4S or above for Voice Controls)
- iPod Touch
- iPad (iPad 3 or above, in scaled mode, with iOS 5 for Voice Controls)
- Android version 4.0 and higher
You can navigate the X1 Platform guide using simple gestures, Voice Controls, remote keyboard, or shortcuts. The following features are available:
- Navigation via gestures
- Navigation via keypad
- Voice Controls
- Shortcuts (Apple devices only)
This icon identifies the XFINITY X1 Remote app in iTunes and Google Play:
Navigation Via Gestures
You can navigate the XFINITY TV on the X1 Platform guide using simple gestures on the main remote control navigation screen.
The example on the left is from an Apple device. The example on the right is from an Android device.
The following gestures are available:
- Tap left or right to initiate XFINITY TV on the X1 Platform guide
- Swipe up with guide initiated to page down
- Swipe down with guide initiated to page up
- Two finger swipe up to channel down
- Two finger swipe down to channel up
Navigation Via Keypad
You can launch the main menu on the XFINITY TV on the X1 Platform device by tapping the xfinity button.
You can also use the remote keypad for most of the existing actions available through the physical remote control.
- To access the remote control keypad, swipe to the left.
- There are two pages you can access to navigate the guide using the remote control keypad, Keypad and Playback. You can scroll to the right of each screen to access these pages.
You can use Voice Controls to control the TV, such as basic navigations, watch or tune to channels, search, browse, and find recommendations. Voice Controls require a microphone in your Apple device.
To access Voice Controls, select the microphone icon found in the bottom row of icons. You will then be prompted to speak a command.
The first time you tap the microphone, Voice Help will appear at the same time as Listening Mode. You can dismiss Voice Help by tapping Done
For all subsequent uses, there are three states after tapping the microphone:
- Listening Mode: Initiates with a beep. The microphone turns blue to indicate that the app is capturing audio.
- Processing Mode: Initiates with a beep that is slightly different from the Listening Mode beep and the microphone turns gray. The app stays in this mode until the set-top box is ready to respond to the request.
- Action Executed on the set-top box: The actual "heard" text shows up on the guide in a small pop-up (e.g., you say "Watch NBC," the set-top box changes to NBC and "Watch NBC" displays on the guide).
Voice Controls Commands
You can use any of the following commands to control the set-top box (examples are grouped by command type):
- "Watch CNBC"
- "Watch 819" (watch eight nineteen)
- "What’s on Bravo? Yes Watch that."
- "What’s on 839?"
- Title Search
- "Find The Voice"
- "Find Avengers"
- "Search for Wizard of Oz"
- "Find Suburgatory"
- "Show me all free action movies"
- "Show me more like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
- "Show me all movies on HBO"
- "Show me all movies about basketball"
- "Do you have any western movies?"
- "Filter by Free"
- "Remove Free"
- "Do you have any funny movies?"
- Team Search
- "When’s the next 76ers game?"
- "When’s the next Wildcats game?"
- Person Search
- "Find Christina Aguilera"
- "Find John Ratzenberger"
- Watch + Title
- "Watch The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo"
- "Watch Hunger Games" (paid – prompts to rent for fee)
- "More like this"
- "Show me more movies like Winnie the Pooh"
- "What’s on?"
- "What’s on today at 6 PM?"
- "Record" (records what’s airing now on the set-top box)
- "Down 3 and select"
- "On Demand"
Note: The below applies to Apple devices only.
Shortcuts provide the ability to browse XFINITY On Demand listings quickly without navigating the multiple levels of the XFINITY On Demand menu. To access Shortcuts, select the arrow icon found in the top right-hand corner of the main navigation screen: .
The following Shortcuts are available:
- Just In: Links you to the Just In selection of XFINITY On Demand
- DVR Recordings: Takes you to the DVR section of the guide
- XFINITY On Demand: Goes to the XFINITY On Demand section of the guide
- Guide: Takes you to the main XFINITY TV on the X1 Platform guide
- Last 9: Selecting Last 9 is the same as selecting the Last button on the physical remote which shows the last nine watched content/programs
Customized Shortcuts can also be created to access a specific location on the guide with just one click. To create:
- Select the Add Shortcut option
- Choose Movies or TV
- By selecting Movies, you can get to a page that displays movie options by Genre, Network, Free, New, and HD. Then click the Save button to save the new Shortcut.
- By selecting TV, you are taken to a page that displays currently playing TV programs by Genre, Network, Free, New and HD. Click the Save button to save the new Shortcut.
- Go to the main Shortcuts page
- Click Edit
- Select the red minus button
- Select Done
Searching with the XFINITY X1 Remote app is easy. To search:
- Select the Search icon in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
- The Search screen will appear. Use the keypad to type the search criteria.
If the phone is being held in landscape mode, the search keypad will always display in portrait mode, and can only be used in portrait mode.
Settings options can be accessed by clicking on the top left-hand corner icon. Within Settings there are three options to choose from:
- Search: Allows you to search XFINITY On Demand and guide listings.
- Settings: Contains options to select which set-top box to control, turn Voice Controls on or off, Feedback, About and Sign Out.
- Help: Allows access to Voice Controls "What do I say?" help, and to remote tips.